Class B+E, C and C+E Licence Acquisition

driving-standards-agencyIn order to obtain a category C licence (any rigid vehicle) the new driver now has to pass 4 individual test modules if they wish to drive for a living or in the course of a business.

Learning to drive with COTS

You can now book your training course with us.  We provide a driver ‘assessment’ to gauge your training requirements.  On completion of a driver assessment the instructor will be able to recommend the amount of training required to reach the test standard.  The fee for this (£30 incl of VAT) is deducted from the total cost of your course.

All courses are designed to provide the learner with the maximum opportunity to practise the skills necessary to pass the DVSA driving test.  We are proud to offer a full DVSA approved LGV/PSV driving test centre in Swansea; this allows the candidate the opportunity to practice on the site where the test will take place.

What COTS can offer

We can offer you a one stop shop for licence acquisition including

  • Provisional licence and medical forms
  • Online Theory Test Practice
  • Online CPC case study theory revision
  • DVSA CPC case study book
  • Theory Test (Multiple Choice, Hazard Perception & CPC Test)
  • Intensive driver training delivered by a DVSA approved instructor
  • Booking of DVSA theory and practical tests

General Information

Category C1 – Minimum age 18

These are vehicles that weigh more than 3.5 tonnes but do not exceed 7.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW).  A trailer may be towed as long as it does not exceed 750 Kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM).  If you passed your car test before 1997 you will have gained C1 automatically and be exempt from requiring the Initial Driver CPC qualification.  Passing your car test after 1st January 1997 will limit you to no more than 3.5 tonnes, category B, (and trailer not exceeding 750 Kg).

Category C – Minimum age 18

A category C licence entitlement is required to drive vehicles with a GVW in excess of 7.5 tonnes.  A category C licence holder may tow a trailer not exceeding 750 kgs MAM.  To pull a trailer in excess of 750 Kg the driver would need a category C+E licence entitlement.

Category C+E – Minimum age 18

If you want to drive articulated or draw bar type vehicles, then you must gain a category C+E licence entitlement.  The letter E represents the trailer element.  Having category C+E means you can drive any type of Large Goods Vehicle.  Passing the C+E practical test will retrospectively give you the B+E and C1+E entitlement.

Gaining C+E LGV entitlement is achieved via staged testing.  Before you can take a category C+E test you must have already passed the category C practical test.  However new drivers who want category C entitlement are not required to pass the C1 driving test first.

Share with friends: